Nvidia GeForce GTX 660m is a performance line mobile graphics card, which is capable of running latest titles like Bioshock Infinite, Sim City 2013, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, etc. from high to ultra-settings.
Laptops fitted with Nvidia GTX 660m can range from Rs.70,000/- to Rs.1,15000/- depending on other specs like processor, ram, hard disk, Blu-ray drive, etc.
This card is perfect if you want to play latest titles on highest settings and make your laptop last for at least 4 years without worrying about upcoming games.
So, let’s look at some benchmarks:
Laptop: Asus G75VW
Display: 17.3 – inches Full HD
Processor: Intel Core i7 3720QM
RAM – 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Graphics card – Nvidia GeForce GTX 660m
HD – 1 TB 5400
Optical Drive – Blu-Ray DVD Combo
OS – Windows 8 Pro
Tomb Raider 2013
Sim City 2013
Far Cry 3
Assassin’s Creed 3
- This card was able to handle all latest titles on high settings. Of course, it mattered with the speed of game too.
- For example, Cheetah speed of Sim City 2013 caused frames to drop up to 28 and as soon as I reduced the speed, the frames were back to 34 -35 per second.
- It didn’t matter how crowded the city got, I was still able to play on high settings.
- Crysis 3 definitely put some stress on this card because it is designed to run on enthusiast level graphics card.
- Even so, I was able to get 25 to 32 FPS on high settings and that’s really great considering the amount of details that this game has.
- There was actually no need to set the settings to medium because the frames would drop only for few micro seconds and the gameplay was literally flawless all the time.
- Bioshock Infinite’s performance became a surprise for me on this card because I was able to play on Ultra settings and got 27 to 32 FPS.
- I agree that some gameplay mechanics stuttered for few seconds on Ultra seconds. So, I had to turn them to high settings and I was blown away when I was suddenly getting 60+ FPS all the time, no matter what kind of matter was being rendered on the screen.
- Tomb Raider looked great on Ultra settings but I couldn’t play on it because of frame rates dropping all the way to 12 FPS and reaching only 21 at their highest point.
- Still, playing on high settings was blissful and it was really a great pleasure to play such an incredible game after such a long time.
- Other games like Far Cry 3 and Assassin’s Creed 3 are also playable on high settings and not ultra because of the sheer environment. It still looked brilliant and there were no lags on high settings.
As always, open world games seem to tax this card and Metro 2033 is still a big bone in the jaw, but nearly every other game is playable on Ultra settings. Especially those that have linear gameplay and you’ve to move from one place to another.
Surprisingly, Mass Effect 3 is playable on Ultra settings too, given that it also has a lot of environmental effects going on.
In short, if you are buying a gaming laptop with this card in it then rest assured that your money is going in the right direction and you’ll be able to enjoy every game that you want.